Duplicate data often creeps in when multiple users add data to the database at the same time or if the database wasn’t designed to check for duplicates. Duplicate data can be either multiple tables containing the same data or two records containing just some fields (columns) with similar data. Here’s how you can locate duplicate records for a desktop database.
To find duplicate records:
- On the Create tab, click Query Wizard.
- In the New Query dialog, click Find Duplicates Query Wizard > OK.
- In the list of tables, select the table you want to use and click Next.
- Select the fields that you want to match and click Next.
- In the list of available fields, select the field or fields that contain the data that you want to update and click Next.
- Accept the suggested query name or enter a name, and click Finish to run the query.